[nSLUG] Specifying graphics driver on install?

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 19:59:09 ADT 2006

I don't have that hardware but I can suggest a couple of things.

Check out this thread at Gentoo forums:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-436461-highlight-permedia2.html

I'd choose a distro that has a little more community support and
experience with Linux on the sparc - either Gentoo or Debian.
This is the first I've heard of any Fedora working on a Sparc.
Redhat has not supported Sun platform since version 6.2 - since
then entire kernel trees have washed under the bridge.

Your other option, if graphics are only an issue during the install,
or if you are mainly interested in running it as a server,
not desktop, is to install using the serial console.  You would
require a null modem cable - on Serial Port A.  It is
possible to use modem dialer software or 'cu' from the uucp
tool-set to connect from another Linux box, but I've found
it is quicker to get a serial connection working from
Windows Hyperterminal (or 'tip' from a nearby Solaris box).

--Donald