[nSLUG] unix + subversion - setup issues

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 12:23:04 ADT 2006

On 6/6/06, Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> We recently migrated to Perforce.  Its much faster, MUCH easier to use
> from cmd line, and did I say faster. :)  Instead of using each prior
> release as a baseline, we are now use one master trunk, and then branch
> releases as needed.  We still have the odd emergency patch here and
> there, which is now easier to apply. Last week, we just cut our first QA
> release which went quite smooth. Not having to deal with multiple
> parallel versions before the release was a blessing.

The TeX Live people were happy with the way Perforce worked (and were
getting it at no charge), but subversion is reliable and has the usual
open source benefits.
Now they are looking at getting hardware upgrades for some of the big
contributers who have encountered performance issues.

I'm seeing quite a few situations where commercial apps win in
situations where you have fairly uniform hardware (e.g. large
enterprise) and can save money on hardware buy buying the software
with the best performance and have the leverage to get the vendor to
support your exact configuration.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:448c3559215881471720634!