[nSLUG] Still looking for linux users around cumberland county!

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 12:08:18 ADT 2006

On 6/11/06, macmini3399 at extendmac.com <macmini3399 at extendmac.com> wrote:
> Hey im still looking for lnux uses around cumberland county! also im trying to
> make my own linux from scratch, what kernel should i go with? i want it to fit
> on a floppy.

Just one floppy?  What functionality do you need?
http://blueflops.sourceforge.net/ has a 2-floppy distro with
networking with a 2.6 kernel.

There are quite a few floppy-based distributions:
http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Floppy/
but they aren't as popular now that many systems can boot from a USB flash
device or CD's.

There seems to be some notion that you can't use newer kernels on
older hardware, or that newer kernels are bloated.  There is only a
tiny bit of truth in this:

1.  some uncommon hardware may not have drivers for newer kernels
2.  more goodies are being added all the time, so if you look at the
size of kernel packages in vendor distros the size has been
increasing.  The size of minimally configured kernels hasn't increased
that much.

Even if you don't want to use an existing floppy-based distro, you can
get an idea of how to configure your kernel.  To get on one floppy you
will need a custom C library trimmed down to just the functions you
use.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:448c31e4214421839931789!