[nSLUG] serial ata device names

Peter Cordes peter at cordes.ca
Fri Jun 9 20:14:09 ADT 2006

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 01:33:53PM -0300, D G Teed wrote:

> With the stock Debian 2.6.8 kernel and initrd, it behaves
> as if I have an older controller.  But this is a notebook
> that came on the market this year having recent
> hardware.  I wonder if is really an older kernel that
> is causing it to be seen as /dev/hda under 2.6.8.
> I think the Suse live CD I tried had a little newer kernel
> than that and saw /dev/sda.

 Some SATA chipsets have an IDE emulation mode, which you can maybe turn off
in the BIOS.  Debian's stable 2.6.8 kernel does have libata (so it will see
SATA devices as /dev/sd*), but I guess not if an IDE driver jumps in first.

 Now that libata has features like being able to pass through SMART commands
so smartctl can work (since 2.6.15, according to smartctl in unstable), I
would suggest getting all your kernels to agree on /dev/sda.

 libata is the SATA driver that is being maintained.  I read (maybe in Linux
Journal) that there was some talk of even having libata take over
everything, even old IDE.  The same article went on to say that that is
almost certainly not going to happen, because writing a driver according to
the published specs just doesn't work that well for so much crufty IDE
hardware...

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)

!DSPAM:448a00c2141799645110408!