[nSLUG] displaying graphics remotely via xterm

Peter Cordes peter at cordes.ca
Fri Jun 9 19:59:58 ADT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 04:11:51PM -0300, Jason Kenney wrote:

> I never bothered learning what .Xauthority was all about,

 I did at one point.  It stores cookies that X clients send to X servers, or
else the X server won't allow the connection.  (Unless you use host-based
auth by running xhost ...)  xdm or startx creates the cookies in the first
place.  ssh sets up special cookies on the remote side, instead of just
copying the cookie for the DISPLAY it's forwarding to.

> but it's caused me
> grief in the past, and the solution was always just deleting it. I think it
> gets corrupted sometimes.

 Yeah, that's a good plan.  Except for getting more information from error
messages, all that I gained from knowing that was how to run X programs as
root (of course without starting an X session as root).  You can symlink
your ~/.Xauthority, or you can xauth list, copy/paste onto an xauth add
command line.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)

!DSPAM:4489fd6f140461679111601!