[nSLUG] serial ata device names

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 13:33:53 ADT 2006

On 6/9/06, Bill Davidson <bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> >From /usr/src/linux/drivers/ide/Kconfig:
>
>           There are two drivers for Serial ATA controllers.
>
>           The main driver, "libata", exists inside the SCSI subsystem
>           and supports most modern SATA controllers.
>
>           The IDE driver (which you are currently configuring) supports
>           a few first-generation SATA controllers.
>
>           In order to eliminate conflicts between the two subsystems,
>           this config option enables the IDE driver's SATA support.
>           Normally this is disabled, as it is preferred that libata
>           supports SATA controllers, and this (IDE) driver supports
>           PATA controllers.
>
>           If unsure, say N.
>
> So it sounds like if you configure in the old IDE SATA driver, and you
> have an old (!) SATA controller, then your SATA drive can be /dev/hdx.
> Otherwise you configure the SCSI SATA drivers, and then your drive will
> be /dev/sdx.

With the stock Debian 2.6.8 kernel and initrd, it behaves
as if I have an older controller.  But this is a notebook
that came on the market this year having recent
hardware.  I wonder if is really an older kernel that
is causing it to be seen as /dev/hda under 2.6.8.
I think the Suse live CD I tried had a little newer kernel
than that and saw /dev/sda.

I guess I'll try to stick with the vanilla 2.6.16 kernel
since it is the only one with support for the onboard
ethernet.

> Keep in mind that /etc/fstab isn't actually used until fairly late in
> the boot process.  You could easily keep a pair of fstab's
> (say /etc/fstab.sdx and /etc/fstab.hdx) and, before mount gets called,
> copy the appropriate one to /etc/fstab based on your kernel version.

Yes, I realized that as well.   I also work with some headless
servers and it has made me wary of any mistakes in the fstab,
but really I can be more relaxed about a notebook scenario.

--Donald

!DSPAM:4489a2f6127889495184715!