[nSLUG] serial ata device names

Bill Davidson bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Fri Jun 9 10:19:26 ADT 2006

Hi:

>From /usr/src/linux/drivers/ide/Kconfig:

          There are two drivers for Serial ATA controllers.

          The main driver, "libata", exists inside the SCSI subsystem
          and supports most modern SATA controllers.

          The IDE driver (which you are currently configuring) supports
          a few first-generation SATA controllers.

          In order to eliminate conflicts between the two subsystems,
          this config option enables the IDE driver's SATA support.
          Normally this is disabled, as it is preferred that libata
          supports SATA controllers, and this (IDE) driver supports
          PATA controllers.

          If unsure, say N.

So it sounds like if you configure in the old IDE SATA driver, and you
have an old (!) SATA controller, then your SATA drive can be /dev/hdx.
Otherwise you configure the SCSI SATA drivers, and then your drive will
be /dev/sdx.

Keep in mind that /etc/fstab isn't actually used until fairly late in
the boot process.  You could easily keep a pair of fstab's
(say /etc/fstab.sdx and /etc/fstab.hdx) and, before mount gets called,
copy the appropriate one to /etc/fstab based on your kernel version.