[nSLUG] Moving to Halifax

Dalin Laqua dalin.laqua at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 21:08:40 ADT 2006

Hi all,

Thanks for the excellent feedback, I appreciate it.  Another question
though, I understand that nSLUG doesn't hold any regular meetings and I was
curious as to why?  Has it been tried before, not enough participation,
etc...  I only ask because the Calgary LUG has been quite active with
monthly meetings and regular events.

Dalin

On 6/8/06, Jeff Warnica <jeff at coherentnetworksolutions.com> wrote:

> I believe your talking about Chebucto Community Net, which has about as
> much to do with Dalhousie as the FSF has to do with MIT. Anyway, as I
> recall the AGM/wifi announcement, the zero-cost-zone is for local
> traffic, with "local" being defined by routing, which is defined by
> politics, and only has a superficial reflection on geography. The price
> for the everywhere service is the same as the Chebucto Plus (56K PPP)
> connection: $100/year. The advantage of getting a repeater is that there
> would be a repeater near you. As for speed, unladen swallows can be
> fairly fast, too. The question is what will happen once/if it gets
> beyond proof of concept, with real customers and real load. CCN is
> pretty lean on staffing, if this gets to critical mass they would
> definitely need more paid staff. With paid staff, and both technical an
> political management structure, it would be tough for anyone to so much
> as keep an entry in RADIUS's database for $4/month.
>

> On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 19:40 -0300, Rich wrote:
> >
> > >From the local user group, DalHousie is setting up a Mesh net, and are
> > looking for people to house repeaters. Mostly Linux boxes that tie into
> > the free Wifi.  The free internet is only local to Halifax, the premium
> > service is $10/month, which connects to the world.  The repeater
> > requires a $150 deposit, you get it back when you return the equipment.
> > The agreement is to keep it running 24/7, for doing so, they give you a
> > break on the monthly cost, $4/month unlimited speed (no caps).  I don't
> > know what the speeds are.  Guys at the group were telling me its freakin
> > fast!  So..  I'm going to find out more about it at the next meeting.  I
> > think I have the correct prices.  Sure beats paying $38/month for capped
> > speed.
> >
> > I'll see if I can locate the email if your interested.

!DSPAM:4488bc0a104353656290462!