[nSLUG] Moving to Halifax

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Thu Jun 8 19:40:50 ADT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 17:40 -0300, Jeff Warnica wrote:
> For (consumer) high speed, the choices are Aliant (DSL) or Eastlink
> (cable). The list hasn't had an exhaustive conversation on the topic,
> its far from clear which is best... Actual performance and reliability
> seems to be dependent on some unknown factor, possibly location,
> possibly gremlins.

I've used Eastlink for a while and work at home 7 days a week, some
weeks.  In the 3 years, had only a handful of outages.  Not bad.  Speed
seems okay.  I heard colleagues at work complaining about Alaint, mostly
when the strike was going on.

There are a few Wifi networks going up.  Eastlink has an experimental
one, not sure how thats going.

>From the local user group, DalHousie is setting up a Mesh net, and are
looking for people to house repeaters. Mostly Linux boxes that tie into
the free Wifi.  The free internet is only local to Halifax, the premium
service is $10/month, which connects to the world.  The repeater
requires a $150 deposit, you get it back when you return the equipment.
The agreement is to keep it running 24/7, for doing so, they give you a
break on the monthly cost, $4/month unlimited speed (no caps).  I don't
know what the speeds are.  Guys at the group were telling me its freakin
fast!  So..  I'm going to find out more about it at the next meeting.  I
think I have the correct prices.  Sure beats paying $38/month for capped
speed.

I'll see if I can locate the email if your interested.

Rich

!DSPAM:4488a76e100535816513482!