[nSLUG] Moving to Halifax

Stephanie Mayfield stephanie.m.mayfield at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 17:45:58 ADT 2006

If you will be living outside a densely populated area you may only access
to Eastlink.  Aliant hasn't strung the magic lines out in the more rural
areas.

I'd recommend TBC on the Bedford Highway.  They may not have the lowest
prices all the time, but they don't sell crap.

On 6/8/06, Jeff Warnica <jeff at coherentnetworksolutions.com> wrote:

> For (consumer) high speed, the choices are Aliant (DSL) or Eastlink
> (cable). The list hasn't had an exhaustive conversation on the topic,
> its far from clear which is best... Actual performance and reliability
> seems to be dependent on some unknown factor, possibly location,
> possibly gremlins.
>
> Without thinking about it too hard, Ive been going to Greenlyph for my
> parts for the last couple of years. Second choice if Mysterybyte.
>
> On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 14:15 -0600, Dalin Laqua wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I guess this is as good a time as any to introduce myself on the list.
> > My family and I are moving to Halifax from Calgary next week for work.
> > I've been working with Linux since 2000 and I was glad to find that
> > there is a local LUG.  I have a few questions I was hoping you could
> > help me with.  I've been looking to see what is available in the way
> > of ISP's, and so far I know of Aliant and possibly Rogers (not sure
> > from their website if they provide cable internet in Halifax, but am
> > assuming that is the case).  So I was hoping someone could tell me
> > what is available and what the services are like.  The other thing I
> > would like to know is if anyone has a preferred shop that sells
> > computers and parts etc.  I plan to build a new PC there after the
> > move.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.  I look forward to getting to know the group
> > and to hopefully meeting some of you as well.

!DSPAM:44888c8896507319633612!