[nSLUG] unix + subversion - setup issues

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Tue Jun 6 15:19:34 ADT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 11:55 -0300, gnwiii at gmail.com wrote:
> On 6/5/06, Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
> > I haven't worked with subversion, our company uses Continuus and now
> > Perforce.  This looks good for an open source version.  I'm gonna check
> > it out.
>
> TeX Live, the long-standing compilation of everything for TeX, moved from
> Perforce to Subversion.  The big complaint has been poor performance for
> checking in/out via internet, but TL is big and some of the maintainers are
> using older laptops (and very few run Win32).  I don't think they carried over
> all the revision history, just started from a current snapshot of the
> old repository.

We used to use Continuus, which was a real dog and very tedious on
checkin/outs.  Although, it did directory versioning and had some
descent history tools.  However, it was very poor when it came to
maintaining live development cycles for Prod/QA/UAT/Dev. Using the prior
release as a baseline, didn't always work well. Too many days spent
fixing parallels that developers created not knowing they forgot to sync
their shadow before checking stuff in.

We recently migrated to Perforce.  Its much faster, MUCH easier to use
from cmd line, and did I say faster. :)  Instead of using each prior
release as a baseline, we are now use one master trunk, and then branch
releases as needed.  We still have the odd emergency patch here and
there, which is now easier to apply. Last week, we just cut our first QA
release which went quite smooth. Not having to deal with multiple
parallel versions before the release was a blessing.

!DSPAM:4485c73422085997199407!