[nSLUG] reinstall not going so smoothly

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Mon Jun 5 14:34:52 ADT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 10:40 -0300, ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca wrote:
> Hello all,
> Thanks for all the pointers regarding what to do to avoid another
> intrusion on my system. I will require a few days to digest all the
> messages and will let you know how it turns out. I would also be
> interested in getting a clear picture of exactly what happened.
>
> The Ubuntu reinstall is not going so smoothly. It seems that something
> different screws up everytime I install a distro on my laptop. I am
> currently having problems with the xorg server. I googled and read Ubuntu
> forums to no help.
>
> For some reason that I do not understand, there are no entries for my
> mouse in /dev/. The xorg.conf file is looking for /dev/input/mice but it
> doesn't exist. Should I put a symlink from /dev/input/mice? If so, what
> should it point to? I can't see anything promising there (e.g.
> /dev/psaux). How can I be sure that the mouse is there?

Is the mouse using a ps2 port or a serial?
Check to see if the device for psaux exists.
This was a common miss on some installers, easy to remedy.
  the mknod is your friend. :)

check if they exist under dev, if not, here is how to create:

      mknod -m 644 /dev/psaux c 10 1
      mknod -m 660 /dev/input/mice c 13 63

Rich

!DSPAM:44846b3a308031394196508!