[nSLUG] reinstall not going so smoothly

ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca
Mon Jun 5 10:40:34 ADT 2006

Hello all,
Thanks for all the pointers regarding what to do to avoid another
intrusion on my system. I will require a few days to digest all the
messages and will let you know how it turns out. I would also be
interested in getting a clear picture of exactly what happened.

The Ubuntu reinstall is not going so smoothly. It seems that something
different screws up everytime I install a distro on my laptop. I am
currently having problems with the xorg server. I googled and read Ubuntu
forums to no help.

For some reason that I do not understand, there are no entries for my
mouse in /dev/. The xorg.conf file is looking for /dev/input/mice but it
doesn't exist. Should I put a symlink from /dev/input/mice? If so, what
should it point to? I can't see anything promising there (e.g.
/dev/psaux). How can I be sure that the mouse is there?

This is on an IBM T23, no Synaptics Touchpad or anything fancy.

Thanks for you help everybody.

Dan (running my own Installfest for 2 days now and looking forward to
doing some work)

!DSPAM:44843454293601094182063!