[nSLUG] php troubleshooting and weblog software

Jeff Warnica jeff at coherentnetworksolutions.com
Mon Jul 24 19:34:43 ADT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 16:25 -0500, Vikram Chhatre wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I have a couple of questions, but some background info before that.  I
> currently run a simple html website for the research lab I work at.  It
> lets us update results of experiments on a daily/weekly basis so that my
> boss can see it from home and when he's out of town.  So far, simple
> handwritten html has served our needs, but now I would like to
> incorporate a blog for myself and a couple more users so that we can
> keep a detailed record of progress made for future reviews.  Most of the
> blogging applications I found on Sourceforge need php and mysql which
> would be an overkill, particularly mysql.

Possibly, and even likely. However, mysql is virtually no effort at all
to setup. Out of the box it uses almost no resources.. a few MB of
memory possibly; and when doing nothing, no cpu time.

At least in theory, there should be lots of things that (can) use
 sqlite. OTOH, its missing some seemingly basic functionality which is
 why, for example, drupal doesnt support it.

> My first question is:  Do you know of any blogging application that does
> not use php/mysql and is simple of install and use?  I would like to be
> able to edit / format blogs, add pictures, in short html blogs.

Being immune to possible reactions to unsolicited advice: you might be
better off with a wiki, rather then a blog; most wiki software has
"whats new/recent changes" type pages that might be sufficient to
replace the newest-first style of blogging things. Mediawiki (which
wikipedia uses) has extensive support for categories and templates, the
later possibly being especially helpful for lab work.

> I found one application that required only php, but unfortunately the
> php installation on my Slack10.2 box is not working, which brings me to
> my second question.  I have following package installed:
>
> /var/log/packages
>
> php-apache2-5.0.4-i486-1spi
>
> The apache part works fine, but php doesn't.  If /usr/bin/php is
> executed, following error is returned:
>
> error while loading shared libraries: libt1.so.5: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory.
>
> I searched on linuxpackages.net but could not find libt1.so.5.  Any ideas?

Googling around it looks like Slackware would know the fulfilling
package as "t1lib (Type 1 font rasterizer library)"

!DSPAM:44c54b06257849404846937!