[nSLUG] Partition full would like advice

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 08:21:07 ADT 2006

On 7/3/06, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-07 at 18:45 -0300, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> > I thought I would seek advice before I screw up my Debian installation.
> >

> > /usr is almost full,
>
> Intead of creating two partitions create only one. Mount it as /usr/lib
> and use a soft link for /usr/share to /usr/lib/usr_share (or whatever).
> More filesystems just waste more space.

I do this quite often on systems that have been thru multiple OS
upgrades.  Over time, stuff moves from /usr/local to /usr as it gets
incorporated into the distros.

> Is /usr a resizable filesystem such as ext2/3? After the usr partition
> is there free space or swap space? You could extend the /usr partition
> and use resize2fs (etc). Swap space is easy to move around. You can have
> multiple swap partitions.

Or you can create a special file in a regular filesystem to provide
swap space, so
you don't need a swap partition at all.

> In your case LVM won't buy you anything unless you want to move your
> whole system to a different drive and reformat. Even then it is
> debateable what LVM would buy you. There are advantages to LVM, I use it
> for Xen systems, but it seems to be the hot newness that many people
> install without thinking why they did.
>
> Personally I think multiple filesystems for /var /usr /whatever is an
> anachromism for most users. I think most people use multiple filesystems
> because that is how is was taught. I have / , /tmp (tmpfs), /home and
> sometimes /boot (if using lvm or raid). If / is corrupt I don't really
> care. All my data is in /home. On a debian system if any
> of / /var /usr /lib is corrupt I will most likely need to reinstall
> regardless. There are reasons to use multiple filesystems, but the need
> is far less common then the one or two filesystem approach.

It depends on how the system will be used.  For multi-user systems you
may want to keep user data separate from the partition(s) with /tmp
and /var so a user creating a huge file won't bring down the system
(or a bunch of users grabbing copies of the same large file so even
though each user is within quota, the partition get full).  On my own
machines I like to have a "data" partition with files that I want to
preserve across OS upgrades and keep my home directory relatively
clean so I can keep track of all the generated configuration info that
gets stored there.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:44aa4f25188554928511189!