[nSLUG] Partition full would like advice

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Mon Jul 3 22:30:14 ADT 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-07 at 18:45 -0300, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> I thought I would seek advice before I screw up my Debian installation.
>

> /usr is almost full,

Intead of creating two partitions create only one. Mount it as /usr/lib
and use a soft link for /usr/share to /usr/lib/usr_share (or whatever).
More filesystems just waste more space.

Is /usr a resizable filesystem such as ext2/3? After the usr partition
is there free space or swap space? You could extend the /usr partition
and use resize2fs (etc). Swap space is easy to move around. You can have
multiple swap partitions.

In your case LVM won't buy you anything unless you want to move your
whole system to a different drive and reformat. Even then it is
debateable what LVM would buy you. There are advantages to LVM, I use it
for Xen systems, but it seems to be the hot newness that many people
install without thinking why they did.

Personally I think multiple filesystems for /var /usr /whatever is an
anachromism for most users. I think most people use multiple filesystems
because that is how is was taught. I have / , /tmp (tmpfs), /home and
sometimes /boot (if using lvm or raid). If / is corrupt I don't really
care. All my data is in /home. On a debian system if any
of / /var /usr /lib is corrupt I will most likely need to reinstall
regardless. There are reasons to use multiple filesystems, but the need
is far less common then the one or two filesystem approach.

--
sg

!DSPAM:44a9c4ba174178160341015!