[nSLUG] Partition full would like advice

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Mon Jul 3 22:00:31 ADT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 18:45 -0300, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> I thought I would seek advice before I screw up my Debian installation.
>

> /usr is almost full, I thought I could split it into /usb, /usb/share,
> /usb/lib and use some spare space elsewhere in the disk. I don't think
> there are any files in either that are required during boot up.
>
> Will this work? Make 2 new partitions out of some of the free space,
> copy /usb/share into one and /usb/lib into the other. Append the fstab
> to reflect the changes, mount the 2 new partitions, then delete the dirs
> out of /usb.

When I used to setup older systems, we used to have several mounts:
  /
  /home
  /var  (spoolers can shut a server down)
  /usr
  /tmp  (if we had space to isolate runaway)
  /opt  (for local apps, now we use /usr/local)
  /usr/src (if you compile kernels, this can consume some space)

Mounting /usr/bin shouldn't be a problem. Many of the tools that are
needed at bootup will be in /sbin, /bin, and /lib.  By the time any of
the rc scripts that use /usr/bin services and tools, the share should be
mounted and ready to go.

You can give it a try.

--
Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca>