[nSLUG] Re: pet peeves

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Mon Jul 3 18:39:03 ADT 2006

me> I cat all the foo.info* files together and put the result in my
me> personal ~/man directory.  I have a homebrew script (called mann)
me> that finds stuff I've put in ~/man.  Thereafter, ``mann foo'' will
me> give me everything I have on foo.

George> Sounds like you need a decent full text indexing system.

Well, I actually wrote one back in my DOS/486 days.  More trouble than
it was worth at 486-speeds.  Presently I have less than 1G of files in
~ so locate, find and grep aren't yet too feeble for most purposes.
As long as I keep ~/man/* and the related cross reference file up to
date, I can find most documentation I need pretty easily.

Since I'm using older hardware (P-1 and P-II), a big, hairy document
manager would probably be overkill.  It's not as if I'm supporting,
a doc server for an engineering team or surgical staff on which
everything has to exactly right and instantly findable.

- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:44a98be2165781501696574!