[nslug]Problem booting Redhat AS2.1 server

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 13:28:04 ADT 2006

On 7/1/06, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't understand what the issue is.  You said you didn't watch it
> boot, so how would you know if fsck did find errors on start up?
> I always watch the console of a production system booting
> up, and I would be especially glued to the screen of one
> having weird problems like this one.

Part of proper administration is making sure you are in a position to
capture important information.  In the case of booting a server you
should know how to configure a serial console so you can capture the
messages in a log (an old 486 laptop running a text-only linux or even
DOS is good for this).

> [...]
> Again, I don't think you should defeat fsck.

I rarely see disks fail without some advance notice if you watch the
right places.
The last big scare I had was when I came in on morning and found the
files I was using were nowhere to be found (on NFS mounted RAID).  The
admin had been ignoring "SCSI failure" messages (because "everything
was working fine").  I think the problem was in the mainboard
(probably the SCSI chip).  The RAID has been working for over a year
since it was unplugged from system A and plugged in to system B.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:44a7f418114344226019173!