[nslug]Problem booting Redhat AS2.1 server

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 09:32:10 ADT 2006

I don't understand what the issue is.  You said you didn't watch it
boot, so how would you know if fsck did find errors on start up?
I always watch the console of a production system booting
up, and I would be especially glued to the screen of one
having weird problems like this one.

In my experience, fsck only runs against file systems listed
in fstab.  Does Redhat have some other mechanism
to register what to scan?

Some distros use a directory or file you can touch
of /forcefsck to cause a file system to be force
checked when mounted, but again listing it
in fstab would be the trigger to allow this.

Doing a grep of fsck in /etc/init.d would probably allow
you to trace where the fsck is getting the ideas
on what to scan and by what triggers.

Again, I don't think you should defeat fsck.  It is likely
helping you limp along with a damaged disk.  There
are systems that when halted don't have a clean
file system for whatever reason, and on a reboot
the first thing that is necessary is a fix.  Its a good
thing, not just something that kills time for kicks.