[nSLUG] Skimming out the spam harvester opportunities from this mailing list

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 08:33:15 AST 2006

Hi,

Today I received an email from "nslug <nslug at nslug.ns.ca>"
at the older address that I used to subscribe to this list.
Of course it is a virus, but I became curious how it could
find my other email address associated with this.  Google
search showed that there are pages such as this:

http://www.nslug.ns.ca/pipermail/nslug/2002-December.txt

It looks like the "In-Reply-To:" lines are sometimes a
source of email addresses.

This part of the email header does not appear in the
Threaded and other views - only in the archived digest view.

I'm not aware of any value the In-Reply-To has in the
digest, and so I suggest there be a way to purge those
lines from the file that is published.

Of course if the spam harvesters are now able to pull together
email addresses from all of those "at" substitutes, then I
guess the effort is fruitless.

--Donald

!DSPAM:43dcb78e49281238525282!