[nSLUG] DNS & hosting policy....

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Thu Jan 12 10:28:59 AST 2006

On 1/12/06, David Potter <dlpotter at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hi Robert,

It's not the registrar or ZoneEdit... it's the site that will host the
> website (they specialize in Real Estate sites and have templates and
> common content, etc...)

If I screw up the DNS/MX then clearly it's not their problem... but they
> may believe they are all powerful or, they may simply use admin tools
> that rely on the domain name as the primary index data field in their
> database.

Perhaps you could try delegating a subdomain for them to use? You could then
either setup a redirect for the website or just have your own small brochure
ware site on the front page and also maintain your own email. That's
probably the best way to do it. You could even make the subdomain be 'www'
if you really wanted although that might be confusing. To setup a subdomain
all you need to do is create NS records in your own domain for the subdomain
that point to the hosting provider's nameservers.

Your original plan would probably work.. but it feels unsatisfactory to me.

Cheers,

Robert.

!DSPAM:43c667ac221284508411221!