[nSLUG] DNS & hosting policy....

David Potter dlpotter at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 12 10:04:13 AST 2006

Hi Robert,

It's not the registrar or ZoneEdit... it's the site that will host the
website (they specialize in Real Estate sites and have templates and
common content, etc...)

If I screw up the DNS/MX then clearly it's not their problem... but they
may believe they are all powerful or, they may simply use admin tools
that rely on the domain name as the primary index data field in their
database.

David Potter

Robert McKay wrote:

> On 1/12/06, David Potter <dlpotter at ns.sympatico.ca
> <mailto:dlpotter at ns.sympatico.ca>> wrote:
>

>     I'm considering moving one of my domain names to a commercial server
>     (from the one sitting beside me). I'm currently using
>     DomainsAtCost for
>     Registrar and ZoneEdit.com for DNS and the advantage is that their MX
>     will redirect all mail *@mydomain.name <http://mydomain.name> to
>     my primary account and the new
>     boys want me to pay more extra for the additional email addresses I'm
>     already using. On the surface they appear to insist that I use use
>     their
>     DNS (I'm not sure they actually read/understood my question about
>     using
>     ZoneEdit - it looked like a form reply.)
>

> If you asked them about email for your domain then they would probably
> want you to use their nameservers. That's mainly just so they know
> that the domain is setup correctly and they don't have to worry about
> what you might be doing wrong if you complain to them about email not
> working.. also it makes it easier for them to move their mailserver to
> a new machine, etc.
>
> I think it's highly unlikely that any serious registrar has a
> requirement that you use their nameservers if you're not using them
> for any service other than that of a registrar. If that really is the
> case, I'd advise you find someone else.
>
>     I'm wondering if I can switch DNS over to them temporarily and then,
>     after a couple of days, when they've satisfied themselves that they
>     _are_ all powerful - switching the primary name server back to
>     ZoneEdit.
>

> Who knows.. I doubt that that is the situation, however if it is; I
> don't see any advantage in playing games with them. Just find someone
> who'll do what you want. I'd recommend omnis.com <http://omnis.com>
> for .com/.net/.org domains.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Robert.