[nSLUG] DNS & hosting policy....

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Thu Jan 12 09:19:54 AST 2006

On 1/12/06, David Potter <dlpotter at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I'm considering moving one of my domain names to a commercial server
> (from the one sitting beside me). I'm currently using DomainsAtCost for
> Registrar and ZoneEdit.com for DNS and the advantage is that their MX
> will redirect all mail *@mydomain.name to my primary account and the new
> boys want me to pay more extra for the additional email addresses I'm
> already using. On the surface they appear to insist that I use use their
> DNS (I'm not sure they actually read/understood my question about using
> ZoneEdit - it looked like a form reply.)

If you asked them about email for your domain then they would probably want
you to use their nameservers. That's mainly just so they know that the
domain is setup correctly and they don't have to worry about what you might
be doing wrong if you complain to them about email not working.. also it
makes it easier for them to move their mailserver to a new machine, etc.

I think it's highly unlikely that any serious registrar has a requirement
that you use their nameservers if you're not using them for any service
other than that of a registrar. If that really is the case, I'd advise you
find someone else.

I'm wondering if I can switch DNS over to them temporarily and then,
> after a couple of days, when they've satisfied themselves that they
> _are_ all powerful - switching the primary name server back to ZoneEdit.

Who knows.. I doubt that that is the situation, however if it is; I don't
see any advantage in playing games with them. Just find someone who'll do
what you want. I'd recommend omnis.com for .com/.net/.org domains.

Cheers,

Robert.

!DSPAM:43c65904216922049589747!