[nSLUG] OT: New to the area - need help with food search

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Wed Jan 4 19:55:29 AST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 18:13 -0400, Aaron Spanik wrote:

> > My mom used to send me poppyseed rolls via UPS. :P
> > I used to laugh when I would receive a few ringers and some rolls to
> > eat.  The packaged stuff is not the same as homemade.
>
> Summer Sausage.  I knew my Dad told me what it was, I was just bitter
> that it wasn't proper kielbasa.  I come from a rather Polish family and
> it's sort of a matter of honor to bring back good kielbasa when one
> visits Ontario (we buy in Burlington, as that's where we're from).

Yes, I know what you mean.  A trip to California will really make you
miss the east coast.  All I ate out there was Mexican food.  The stuff
they call pizza and Italian food is a joke.  Lots of gourmet crap, ya
know the little speck of this and dab of this.  Eating art. Then grab a
burger on the way home.  Even lobsters, I guess they call them that, are
just a tad bigger than crawfish.

> I had to look up Lekvar, as I'm not familiar with the term, but at
> least now I know what to call the prune filling that I love :)  Perogis
> with lekvar or sour cherry filling are a personal favorite.

I never had lekvar in a pierogi. We used to make the potato, cheese, and
sour cream filled pierogies. My mom used to make a cookie, it looked
like little walnut rolls, but were more like a bow tie with granulated
sugar as the coating.  Man, I could eat about 10-15 cookies (about 3
inch in length) at one sitting. :) Good stuff.

> My uncles and grandparents speak fondly of "real" horseradish and its
> capacity to make a grown man cry, but I've never had anything that
> didn't come out of a jar.  I've always wanted to try the good
> stuff...let me know if you find it around here :)

The one that Sobey's sells, its a local distributor, forget the name.
Its white, in a tall thin bottle.  Thats not too bad.  Fresh is always
better.  My mom used to tell me when they were bad, they had to chop the
horseradish as punishment.  hehe

This area makes really great sausage.  Best I've ever tasted.
Doing some reading on the area, I found there was a large German
settlement on Dutch Village Road area.  Most traveled and settled in
Lunenberg.

One thing that shocked me a bit, was the price of beer!
Wow!  $32 for a 24..  Man, thats the price of a 1/4 keg in the states.
Heck, we used to get 1/2 kegs for parties, $60 for the good stuff, $30
for the cheap stuff (Genesewer).  A case of Bud is about $12, I used to
drink Killian's Red which was a lager, so it was about $18 a case.

What gives with no Burgundy wine. :) Hard stuff to find here.
We used that a lot for cooking.  Makes a great quick beef gravy.

all this talk of food... time to hit the fridge. :)

--
Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca>

!DSPAM:43bc5e85267071554121258!