[nSLUG] OT: New to the area - need help with food search

Aaron Spanik aaronspanik at eastlink.ca
Tue Jan 3 18:13:33 AST 2006

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 00:48:39 -0400
Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 20:12 -0400, Aaron Spanik wrote:
> > On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:14:37 -0400
> > Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
> > *snip*
>
> I tried Brothers.  The sausage is very good, its what we call Summer
> Sausage in the States.   I have my grandmother's recipe for Kielbasa and
> some of the others, just hard locating the ingredients.  Lekvar is not
> very common here, it should be! :) Its VERY good.  I found a Deli on
> Wyse St, Kal's, its not bad.  Its close, the taste is there, but not the
> texture.  I find it a little dry,but its very close.
>
> My mom used to send me poppyseed rolls via UPS. :P
> I used to laugh when I would receive a few ringers and some rolls to
> eat.  The packaged stuff is not the same as homemade.

Summer Sausage.  I knew my Dad told me what it was, I was just bitter
that it wasn't proper kielbasa.  I come from a rather Polish family and
it's sort of a matter of honor to bring back good kielbasa when one
visits Ontario (we buy in Burlington, as that's where we're from).

I had to look up Lekvar, as I'm not familiar with the term, but at
least now I know what to call the prune filling that I love :)  Perogis
with lekvar or sour cherry filling are a personal favorite.

> > Walnut and poppyseed rolls don't exist here either.  The only time I've
> > had a Walnut roll was in high school and was made by the Mother of a
> > friend.  I've had Poppyseed roll more often, but only because my Mom
> > makes it (though she generally has to "import" the poppyseed filling
> > from Ontario/Upstate NY).
> >

> Hmm.. maybe I'll have the relatives send some up here.  I used to get
> two types of horse radish, the white and red (done with beets).  The red
> is good with ham, I like the white with kielbasa.  My grandmother used
> to make her own.  That stuff was a tear jerker!  If I could locate a
> press, I could make my own if I could find the casings. :)  I made lots
> of kielbasa as a kid, I worked the press. I think  my uncle has the
> press, its an old one, I think early 1900's, all cast iron.  We also
> made venison kielbasa, which was very good.

My uncles and grandparents speak fondly of "real" horseradish and its
capacity to make a grown man cry, but I've never had anything that
didn't come out of a jar.  I've always wanted to try the good
stuff...let me know if you find it around here :)

Cheers,

/a

aaronspanik at eastlink.ca

!DSPAM:43baf61f246161836816160!