[nSLUG] OT: New to the area - need help with food search

Jason Kenney jason at ohm.ath.cx
Tue Jan 3 02:04:08 AST 2006

> I tried Brothers.  The sausage is very good, its what we call Summer
> Sausage in the States.   I have my grandmother's recipe for Kielbasa and
> some of the others, just hard locating the ingredients.  Lekvar is not
> very common here, it should be! :) Its VERY good.  I found a Deli on
> Wyse St, Kal's, its not bad.  Its close, the taste is there, but not the
> texture.  I find it a little dry,but its very close.

Maybe Pete's Frootique would have something if Chris Brothers' doesn't,
but I wouldn't bet on it.

> My mom used to send me poppyseed rolls via UPS. :P
> I used to laugh when I would receive a few ringers and some rolls to
> eat.  The packaged stuff is not the same as homemade.

You might be able to find ingredients at some of the Lebanese or Asian
grocers around. The Bulk Barn also has a surprising amount of things (like
saffron, etc.).

> We tried Zen, didn't like it too much.  Same for the, The Dragon...
> buffet(?) near Dairy Queen in Bayers Lake.  We also tried the one in
> Bedford.  We still return to the Great Wall.  I like most of their food
> there.  I like Greek Rest across from McD's on Quinpool, I think its
> Athens or Athena.  We also tried the one downtown, starts with an O..
> Liked both of those.

Opa is the one on Argyle. I didn't like Athens much (well, it was fine,
but not nearly as good as Opa but just as expensive), but I love the
little Greek diner down the road. The Spartan (Cafe?). I found the
whatever buffet in Bayer's Lake is horrible. Maybe Silver
Dragon? The ads for pigeon or whatever on the window didn't help either.

>>> I tasted goat for the first time at the Taj Mahal. It was really good. I
>>> enjoy the Seafood.  Never had fish this fresh. There are some really
>>> good steak houses too. Mexican is very good.  Found a few descent family
>>> restaurants.

There are some good Irish-style places around too. The Old Triangle
downtown, Jamieson's out in Cole Harbour. I've never been to any of the
seafood speciality places downtown come to think of it... I just do it
myself at home. :P

>> If you like the goat at Taj Mahal, you might try a couple of the
>> Carribean places that have sprung up in the last couple of years (I
>> believe there's one on Green St. in Halifax).  I've heard they do
>> marvelous things with goat, though I've never eaten there.

> Thanks very much for your suggestions. I will definitely try some of
> these places.  A lot of places are trial and error, just hope we don't
> get sick trying. :P
>
> We tried Fran's and like that very much. We went to the Taj Mahal a few
> weeks ago, it was my second time eating Indian style.  The first was at
> a buffet in NY.  I really enjoyed the food.  My wife wasn't too keen on
> it.  She tried lamb and liked it, but was not fond of curry.  I would
> like to try it again.  Maybe in the future on a business meeting. :)
> Work associates talked me into the goat.  I was very happy they did.  I
> really enjoyed it.  I thought it tasted better than beef.  Very tender
> and had a nice taste.

On Spring Garden Deco (mostly French?) and Onyx (French-Japanese fusion I
would call it) are both very good if you're already paying Taj Mahal-like
prices. One day I will get enough people together to get the entire
roasted goat at Taj Mahal.

I've been told Bish is very good, but it's hard to find other people
willing to pay their prices to dine with. And hard to let myself pay that.
But I suppose there are even more expensive places around...

Jason

!DSPAM:43ba1b50209891100511276!