[nSLUG] OT: New to the area - need help with food search

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Tue Jan 3 00:48:39 AST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 20:12 -0400, Aaron Spanik wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:14:37 -0400
> Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry for going off topic, I was checking the web trying to find
> > anything in the area.  I usually find out about shops and restaurants by
> > word of mouth.
> >
> > Do you know any place I can get Polish Sausage, like kielbasa, or other
> > foods like lekvar cookies, walnut roll, or poppyseed rolls.  I moved to
> > Halifax from a large Eastern European area in Pennsylvania.  I miss a
> > lot these foods.
>
> Sadly, you won't find anything like good Polish Sausage in this town
> unless you bring it here yourself.  Brothers' Meats sells something they
> like to call kielbasa, but it certainly isn't.  I thought there was
> someone doing some Polish meats at the Farmer's Market, but if you've
> been there and didn't see it I may be mistaken.

I tried Brothers.  The sausage is very good, its what we call Summer
Sausage in the States.   I have my grandmother's recipe for Kielbasa and
some of the others, just hard locating the ingredients.  Lekvar is not
very common here, it should be! :) Its VERY good.  I found a Deli on
Wyse St, Kal's, its not bad.  Its close, the taste is there, but not the
texture.  I find it a little dry,but its very close.

My mom used to send me poppyseed rolls via UPS. :P
I used to laugh when I would receive a few ringers and some rolls to
eat.  The packaged stuff is not the same as homemade.

> Walnut and poppyseed rolls don't exist here either.  The only time I've
> had a Walnut roll was in high school and was made by the Mother of a
> friend.  I've had Poppyseed roll more often, but only because my Mom
> makes it (though she generally has to "import" the poppyseed filling
> from Ontario/Upstate NY).

Hmm.. maybe I'll have the relatives send some up here.  I used to get
two types of horse radish, the white and red (done with beets).  The red
is good with ham, I like the white with kielbasa.  My grandmother used
to make her own.  That stuff was a tear jerker!  If I could locate a
press, I could make my own if I could find the casings. :)  I made lots
of kielbasa as a kid, I worked the press. I think  my uncle has the
press, its an old one, I think early 1900's, all cast iron.  We also
made venison kielbasa, which was very good.

> > I found some good Greek restaurants, a few Chinese restaurants.  The
> > pizza is okay, doesn't match up to the Old Forge / New York styles.
> > Italian restaurants are a bit different here.  Philly steak subs are a
> > little different. I learned to like Donairs. :)
>
> Greek is big here in the city.  At the same time my favorite
> Greek-style food is at the Ivy Deck Bistro in Wolfville.  For Oriental,
> Kinh-Do is a nice little Vietnamese place on Barrington.  Zen in
> Clayton Park and China Classic on Quinpool do my favorite "North
> American Chinese".  Chee-Lin in the Brewery Market is probably the best
> when it comes to actual Chinese food (also, Fran's in Dartmouth is the
> same people in a more casual environment).

We tried Zen, didn't like it too much.  Same for the, The Dragon...
buffet(?) near Dairy Queen in Bayers Lake.  We also tried the one in
Bedford.  We still return to the Great Wall.  I like most of their food
there.  I like Greek Rest across from McD's on Quinpool, I think its
Athens or Athena.  We also tried the one downtown, starts with an O..
Liked both of those.

> I have never had a proper Cheesesteak outside of Pennsylvania, nor do I
> believe such a beast exists.  New York-style pizza has never really
> caught on here, nor has the deep-dish Chicago-style.  Salvatore's and
> Tomasino's (both thin-crust style) are the two best in town; they're
> also the most expensive.

Hard to find good Italian hoagies here.  Subway is commercial.  The
hoagies we would get would be on a loaf of Italian bread, 4 inches wide
and about 18-24 inches long.  There would be close to 1/4" of meat on
the entire hoagie. then add lettuce, onions, and the dressing was
different.  Something like the dressing on a greek salad, but a little
more oregano.  Also, provolone cheese.  Hard to find, the Italian Market
is really good.  Cannot find subs here.  A sub is thin steak, mushrooms,
mozzarella, and a red sauce.  If you ever get a chance to try them, they
are really good.

> > I tasted goat for the first time at the Taj Mahal. It was really good. I
> > enjoy the Seafood.  Never had fish this fresh. There are some really
> > good steak houses too. Mexican is very good.  Found a few descent family
> > restaurants.
>
> If you like the goat at Taj Mahal, you might try a couple of the
> Carribean places that have sprung up in the last couple of years (I
> believe there's one on Green St. in Halifax).  I've heard they do
> marvelous things with goat, though I've never eaten there.

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I will definitely try some of
these places.  A lot of places are trial and error, just hope we don't
get sick trying. :P

We tried Fran's and like that very much. We went to the Taj Mahal a few
weeks ago, it was my second time eating Indian style.  The first was at
a buffet in NY.  I really enjoyed the food.  My wife wasn't too keen on
it.  She tried lamb and liked it, but was not fond of curry.  I would
like to try it again.  Maybe in the future on a business meeting. :)
Work associates talked me into the goat.  I was very happy they did.  I
really enjoyed it.  I thought it tasted better than beef.  Very tender
and had a nice taste.

Thanks!

Regards,
Rich