[nSLUG] Who spent midnight watching for the leap second?

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 09:56:09 AST 2006

I googled for a bit of education on that, as I saw something in
/var/log/messages
that the kernel updated the clock.

Clock: inserting leap second 23:59:60 UTC

It seemed pretty weird that the kernel would know about the leap
second.  It turns out that ntp knows how to talk to the
Linux kernel.  I don't think there is anything this fancy happening
when ntp otherwise changes the system time.

According to the wikipedia, the leap second is inserted at
midnight UTC, not local time, and that cooresponds to the above.

--Donald Teed

On 1/1/06, gnwiii at gmail.com <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:

> comp.protocols.time.ntp has some interesting discussions of the leap
> second at midnight this AM.
>
> On my machine at home, 2 of the ntp pool servers it was using still
> weren't responding at 8AM.  Now that t
> the fun is over, and since I don't need ntp precision at home, I switched
> to htp.
>
> Some cell phone systems and many Windows systems had problems.  The US has
> been lobbying to
> get rid of leap seconds because they cause too much trouble.
>
> --
> George N. White III < aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
> Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
>

> !DSPAM:43b7d805106901254216280!