[nSLUG] Debian drift-->Nothing in /etc/apt/sources.list -->>sources.old, Yes

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 09:43:03 AST 2006

Hi,

You need the pony to get the hay to the barn to feed the pony.

Copy your backed up sources.list to the right name and
then apt-get will have something to work off.  I don't know
how yours got wiped, but I suspect some GUI front end tool
has something to do with it.

-Donald

On 2/27/06, Robert Ashley <rb.ashley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I checked /etc/apt/sources.list to see if I could see where I'm at,
> nomenclature-wise.
>
> No text there....blank...  huh?
>
> Then I checked /etc/apt/sources.list.old
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
>

> $ cat /etc/debian_version
> 3.1
>
> [Per APT HOWTO <
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-basico.en.html>] I tried:
>
> debian:/# apt-get install netselect
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: Couldn't find package netselect
>
> Is this because there's nothing in /etc/sources.list for Debian to point
> to?
>
> Assumption: Need mirrors in /etc/apt/sources.list to update/upgrade.
> Assumption: Thought apt-get install netselect would get me started on
> that.
>
> Any help in clarifying my confusion much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> bob

> !DSPAM:440280eb303934557712583!

!DSPAM:440301e8311728442218818!