[nSLUG] Distributions and Dependencies

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Fri Feb 24 10:16:58 AST 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, David Potter wrote:

> So... I'm ready to upgrade Fedora Core 3 to Core 4 and I'm bumping into the
> package dependency wall.

They still haven't fixed that? Deary me...

> If I'm thinking of a new install, there's no reason not to consider a new
> distribution... so I'm open for suggestions.

Debian?

> Is there a proper tool or approach to unravel the dependencies...

apt handles the dependencies pretty well. When something is terminally
hosed (eg, when I have extra repositories set up with conflicting versions
of software) apt will do its best. Running through dselect, any conflicts
remaining are displayed after dselect has tried to fix them for you.

If you want to really get rid of dependencies, go with Slackware and
compile everything from source. I'm too lazy to do that these days,
though.

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:43ff1562165861393353936!