[nSLUG] Distributions and Dependencies

David Potter dlpotter at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 24 09:39:59 AST 2006

So... I'm ready to upgrade Fedora Core 3 to Core 4 and I'm bumping into
the package dependency wall. I'm using yum, and the problem is my own
making but was based on the dispersed wisdom of the internet. At some
point in the past I added/installed a non standard package... for
argument I'll say Exim (there may be several others - perhaps 3-4).

The install would have failed because of a dependency that drew me into
a cascading dependency scenario in which the ranking was unclear - i.e.
I couldn't/didn't figure out the root dependency which would have
allowed me to work my way back up the dependency tree and complete the
install properly.

So... I used various forms of brute force and subtle coercion...
symbolic links to fake the version of a library or using rpm and
'forcing no dependencies' to effect the install.

--------------

Now... I'm ready to upgrade Fedora Core 3 to Core 4 and I'm bumping into
the package dependency wall that has broadened because of forcing the
issue last time. This upgrade may be more work than it's worth, and I'm
considering flushing everything and doing a fresh install.

If I'm thinking of a new install, there's no reason not to consider a
new distribution... so I'm open for suggestions.

I must say that if I could get this (ongoing) dependency issue resolved
I'd probably stay with Fedora. Last  time I was very happy with the
upgrade from Core 2 to Core 3 over the net using yum. When it works it's
pretty slick.

Is there a proper tool or approach to unravel the dependencies...

David Potter

Halifax Home Buyer Seminars: seminars.davidpotter.ca

!DSPAM:43ff0caa164366614016979!