[nSLUG] Root Partition Woes

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Thu Feb 16 08:57:09 AST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 12:45 -0400, Rowan Townshend wrote:
>   I am still sorting through the system log files, and nothing has
> turned up thus far.  I thought that perhaps I should post some more
> info.  What puzzles me about all of this, is that usually it's a problem
> with /var/log/ or /tmp/ that causes these issues.  In this case, I
> assigned both a seperate partition from the / just to avoid this sort of
> thing.

OK.  The degree to which your system is partitioned should make locating
where the space is going trivial.

> Something I have noticed while scanning my logs is that there is
> a lot of people trying to exploit Samba & SSH on the server, could that
> be leaving some sort of memory foot print on the / partition perhaps?

Unlikely.  I don't understand why it's so hard for you to find where the
space is going.  This has been suggested before.  Try:

du -x / | sort -n

Look for the largest directory and examine its contents.

Ben

!DSPAM:43f476aa44639252711526!