[nSLUG] Root Partition Woes

Rowan Townshend rtownshend at epicmarketing.ca
Wed Feb 15 12:45:37 AST 2006

David Potter wrote:

> Hi Rowan,
>
> My first suspicion would be log files gone wild... if that doesn't
> seem to be the problem -  maybe  try a `find `
>
> # find  /  -type f -mtime -1 | less
>
> should find any files modified in the last day ( -3 would give you
> three days, etc...).
>
> david potter
> (who doesn't claim to be a `find ` expert... ;-)
>
> *Halifax Nova Scotia - Home Buyer Seminars* -
> http://www.davidpotter.ca/Seminars/page_1354125.html
>

> Rowan Townshend wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>>  I am dealing with a running issue, where my server (Slackware 10.1)
>> keeps filling its root partition.  I have given it a few passes, and
>> have not noticed any especially large files held within.  This server
>> acts as a mail server (Sendmail 8.13.5), DNS (Bind 9.3.1), Web
>> (Apache 1.3.33), and MySQL (4.1.14) is in there but not really being
>> used at the moment.  The Root partition itself was defined for 1 GB
>> of space, to my knowledge this should be sufficient?
>>
>>  Is there a way that I can monitor the disk write actions to a
>> specific partition?  If such is possible, then perhaps it would shed
>> some light on what is eating up the space.
>>
>> This one has me boggled,
>> -Rowan Townshend
>>
>> P.S.  Happy Valentines Day!
>>

> --

>!DSPAM:43f358ba25421026111039!

Hello Everyone,

  I am still sorting through the system log files, and nothing has
turned up thus far.  I thought that perhaps I should post some more
info.  What puzzles me about all of this, is that usually it's a problem
with /var/log/ or /tmp/ that causes these issues.  In this case, I
assigned both a seperate partition from the / just to avoid this sort of
thing.  Something I have noticed while scanning my logs is that there is
a lot of people trying to exploit Samba & SSH on the server, could that
be leaving some sort of memory foot print on the / partition perhaps?

*df -h output:*
/dev/sda1 950M 950M 0 100% /
/dev/sda6 19G 2.6G 15G 15% /usr
/dev/sda7 1.9G 37M 1.8G 3% /opt
/dev/sda8 479M 9.3M 445M 3% /tmp
/dev/sda9 19G 780M 17G 5% /var
/dev/sda10 47G 21G 24G 48% /share
/dev/sda11 94G 12G 77G 14% /home
/dev/sdb1 147G 314M 139G 1% /mnt/hosting
/dev/sdc1 147G 38G 102G 27% /mnt/backup
/dev/sde1 230G 17G 202G 8% /mnt/usbhuey

*fstab*
/dev/sda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/sda6 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/sda7 /opt ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/sda8 /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/sda9 /var ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/sda10 /share ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/sda11 /home ext3 suid,dev,exec 0 2
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/hosting ext3 suid,dev,exec 0 2
/dev/sdc1 /mnt/backup ext3 suid,dev,exec 0 2
/dev/sde1 /mnt/usbhuey ext3 defaults 1 1
#/dev/sde1 /mnt/usblouie ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/sdf1 /mnt/usbdewey ext3 defaults 1 1
#/dev/sdg1 /mnt/usbdonald ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

!DSPAM:43f35ab826286523091929!