[nSLUG] Root Partition Woes

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Wed Feb 15 13:15:00 AST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 11:35 -0400, Rowan Townshend wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>   I am dealing with a running issue, where my server (Slackware 10.1)
> keeps filling its root partition.  I have given it a few passes, and
> have not noticed any especially large files held within.  This server
> acts as a mail server (Sendmail 8.13.5), DNS (Bind 9.3.1), Web (Apache
> 1.3.33), and MySQL (4.1.14) is in there but not really being used at the
> moment.  The Root partition itself was defined for 1 GB of space, to my
> knowledge this should be sufficient?

If you did a minimal install, no X11 1GB should be fine.
Do use it for mail or firewall (logging enabled) ?

If you have the space, or another old drive you can pop in,
change the /var mount to another filesystem than root.

The largest dirs will be at the end

cd /var
du -s `\ls`|sort -n

the \ls escapes any aliases that might be set
then go into the largest dir and see whats hogging the space

Rich

!DSPAM:43f362cf27563838390033!