[nSLUG] Root Partition Woes

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Wed Feb 15 13:15:39 AST 2006

Hi Rowan

On February 14, 2006 11:35 am, you wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>   I am dealing with a running issue, where my server (Slackware
>   10.1) keeps filling its root partition.  I have given it a few
>   passes, and have not noticed any especially large files held
>   within.  This server acts as a mail server (Sendmail 8.13.5), DNS
>   (Bind 9.3.1), Web (Apache 1.3.33), and MySQL (4.1.14) is in there
>   but not really being used at the moment.  The Root partition
>   itself was defined for 1 GB of space, to my knowledge this should
>   be sufficient?

I would suspect that /var, and possibly /tmp are filling up with
temporary files, if these are not on separate partitions. Mail spool
files, if there are enough of them, could eat a big chunk out
of /var. (I suspect this is what Donald Teed was thinking about in
his comment.)

>   Is there a way that I can monitor the disk write actions to a
>   specific partition?  If such is possible, then perhaps it would
>   shed some light on what is eating up the space.

Either

stat -f -c \%f /

or

df -H /

can be used to discover the amount of *free* space on the root
partition. This could be incorporated into a script, along with du -s
commands to look at the sizes of specific suspect directories. Run
frequently as a cron job you could get an idea of the space
utilization over time.

Regards

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at eastlink.ca