[nSLUG] Keep loosing internet connection

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 20:44:18 AST 2006

On 2/8/06, J. Paul Bissonnette <jpaulb at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> I have a "Devolo Microlink Lan Router" connected to Eastlinks cable modem. I
> have been loosing the internet connection more often than I think is
> warranted, some days  like 2 - 3 times, then maybe not for a day or so.
> Eastlink claims that their cable modem tests good and
> that the problem probably is with my router.

Google indicates this is a 10/100 unit.

Some routers get into trouble early and often if the interfaces aren't
all running at the same speed. If your router is more than a couple
years old it is quite possible that it relies on the fact that most
PC's with el cheapo network cards and running typical office workloads
didn't fill a 100mbps pipe.  I came to know about this because over 5
years ago SGI Octanes could fill a 100mbps pipe (while scratching
their heads AND chewing gum) and were known to be "fussy" about what
they connect to.  Even today using relatively new switches ours still
upset the switch a few times a month. Some routers that have 10/100
ports work better if you run all the links at 10 even if you have 100
capability.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:43ed351b70262056116124!