[nSLUG] Keep loosing internet connection

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Fri Feb 10 13:49:18 AST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 11:18 -0400, Dop Ganger wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
>
> > I have a "Devolo Microlink Lan Router" connected to Eastlinks cable modem. I
> > have been loosing the internet connection more often than I think is
> > warranted, some days
> > like 2 - 3 times, then maybe not for a day or so. . Eastlink claims that
> > their cable modem tests good and
> > that the problem probably is with my router.
> >
> > Is there anyway of testing this?
>
> That unit looks like a consumer grade piece of equipment, so is probably
> not overly reliable as it is designed for light duty. I've seen this in
> the past with other units; a D-Link wireless router tested in a ~50 user
> office managed to run for around 30 seconds before dying. At another
> location, a Linksys wireless router in a 4 user office was fine until
> large SMB transfers were done between laptops, at which point it hung. I
> believe the root cause is lack of CPU and/or RAM causing the router to
> hang, but I don't have any definite proof.

sounds plausible.  I picked up a SMC router, the hard wire ports work
well, however, the wireless keeps a good strong connection but can get
hung - seen it once or twice over the year.  I think it was my son's PC,
wireless drivers for win98 may not have upto par. Since he has gone to
win2k, its seems quite steady now.

I had him setup on a dual boot, linux and win, but he likes to be on win
with his friends.  There are a few things, only a few, that windows can
do, for now.  Older games, however, some do run with wine or
winex/cedaga.

> If you want industrial grade reliability, I'd recommend either looking at
> a business grade solution such as a Cisco unit, or put in a Linux box to
> run as a router and get a cheap $30 4 port switch (or use the Devolo unit
> as a switch - since the switching functionality is generally in hardware
> that side is fairly reliable).

I ran a Linux box firewall for years, only in the past year or so I
needed something different.  Mainly wireless support.  As a firewall, it
was right there.  I used a 233MMX, worked like a charm.  When I had to
use VPN software for work, I had to install the 2.6 kernel to allow
IPSec tunneling using ESP and IKE.

I always wanted to setup a CDROM firewall. One day.

Rich

!DSPAM:43ecd21e65444667013899!