[nSLUG] Keep loosing internet connection

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Fri Feb 10 11:18:08 AST 2006

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:

> I have a "Devolo Microlink Lan Router" connected to Eastlinks cable modem. I
> have been loosing the internet connection more often than I think is
> warranted, some days
> like 2 - 3 times, then maybe not for a day or so. . Eastlink claims that
> their cable modem tests good and
> that the problem probably is with my router.
>
> Is there anyway of testing this?

That unit looks like a consumer grade piece of equipment, so is probably
not overly reliable as it is designed for light duty. I've seen this in
the past with other units; a D-Link wireless router tested in a ~50 user
office managed to run for around 30 seconds before dying. At another
location, a Linksys wireless router in a 4 user office was fine until
large SMB transfers were done between laptops, at which point it hung. I
believe the root cause is lack of CPU and/or RAM causing the router to
hang, but I don't have any definite proof.

If you want industrial grade reliability, I'd recommend either looking at
a business grade solution such as a Cisco unit, or put in a Linux box to
run as a router and get a cheap $30 4 port switch (or use the Devolo unit
as a switch - since the switching functionality is generally in hardware
that side is fairly reliable).

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:43ecaebc59889842020986!