[nSLUG] Keep loosing internet connection

Bill Davidson bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Thu Feb 9 09:51:30 AST 2006

Hi:

On Thu, 2006-09-02 at 08:57 -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> some time when I loose connection I can reset the cable modem from
> Mozilla, other times it is not visible, other time I have to physically
> unplug both router and modem

So sometimes you can't access the router's web interface via
http://192.168.x.x ?  If that is the case then it has nothing to do with
the modem because the only things involved are the PC and the router
(and the cable between them, but cables usually aren't intermittently
bad).  I would, on such an occasion, try from both PC's to see whether
one of them might be the problem.  Right after that I would get a new
router...

One other possibility:  Is there a firmware upgrade available for the
router?  That might fix your problem.

Also, if my understanding of the above is not correct, then I would say
that most of the problems with small "Internet routers" is that they
often seem to lose their name serving ability.  I presume some internal
table fills up and so the DNS server just stops answering.  If that is
the case you could try using a different name server for your PC's and
just forget about the router's name server.  Looking at the logs you
posted:

> 1970/01/01 00:00:12     DHCPC   Get DNS[adm1][0]=24.222.0.95
> 1970/01/01 00:00:12     DHCPC   Get DNS[adm1][1]=24.222.0.94

you could just use those addresses for your nameservers
in /etc/resolv.conf and see if that works.  You could also try something
like "dig @24.222.0.95 some.domain" when nothing seems to be working.

--
Bill Davidson
bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca