[nSLUG] Keep loosing internet connection

J. Paul Bissonnette jpaulb at eastlink.ca
Thu Feb 9 08:57:35 AST 2006

Rich wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 18:43 -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
>

>>I have a "Devolo Microlink Lan Router" connected to Eastlinks cable modem. I
>>have been loosing the internet connection more often than I think is
>>warranted, some days
>>like 2 - 3 times, then maybe not for a day or so. . Eastlink claims that
>>their cable modem tests good and
>>that the problem probably is with my router.
>>
>>Is there anyway of testing this?
>>

>It could be a couple of things:
>
>Need to isolate if its internal or external.
>
>Are any other internal machines dropping
>     check your logs on the machine, how old is the nic driver
>     sometimes there are bugs that get fixed, auto negotation was
>     a nightmare on the intel cards at work, but a new driver fixed it.

No the switch side of the router has never failed

>Does the cable modem reset, does the connect light reset
>     try swapping wires, is the cable connection good at that location
>     how much excess coaxial do you have from the modem to the wall
>     try not to coil more than once or twice, after that it becomes
>     an antennae.

some time when I loose connection I can reset the cable modem from
Mozilla, other times it is not visible, other time I have to physically
unplug both router and modem

>If you are the only PC on the LAN, use your PC to connect to the modem.
>You will need to match the MAC address of the router unless you used the
>MAC from your PC on the router.  This is so you can connect to Eastlink.

there are others, printer, VOIP.

>Do you have access to a sniffer or the ethereal app in linux?
>There are other tools like tcpdump and sniffit.

As long as the connection is active, I don't think it has ever been
dropped. I ran mtr for a few hours, 100%

>Need to see if you are getting hit with packets storms, or DOS attacks.
>Or worse yet, your IP was used for someone else causing duplicate
>connections.  Seen it before..

??? what is the last one??? Thought the modem used DHCP.

--

J. Paul Bissonnette
http://canadian-dream.com

!DSPAM:43eb3c4327091789594320!