[nSLUG] older SPARC Ultra10 and xorg.conf - take 2

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 22:14:19 AST 2006

I agree with the suggestion to try Doug's xorg.conf bit if you
have the same series of kernel.

The explanation of sleep 30 not running would make sense
normally, except in this case we are taking about an init.d
script.  Those generally come back, even if there is
an error.  It can even be run from a remote location
in a tty session by root.  You might be thinking of the
way xinit or the like works.  What Doug says, fits the
behaviour he describes, but I doubt it could be
what is happening.

I think that X is starting and leaves itself plastered on the
screen and the console keyboard hung, even after exiting.
I've seen this many times.

In the old days it used to be quite common to hang X,
run to a different tty, rlogin, kill the X process,
(at this point the Display might still show
the original hung image, and if so continue: set DISPLAY
to :0, startx, run back to the console and exit X,
and then restart X from the console again).

I think you really gotta look at options for sshing into that
box when it is hanging.  You might have to temporarily change
what the network card attaches to so you can get access
to the machine.

--Donald

On 2/8/06, Doug McComber <doug.mccomber at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/7/06, Daniel Ricard <ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca> wrote:
> > I also wrote a little script for testing (thanks Donald):
> >
> > /etc/init.d/gdm start
> > sleep 30
> > /etc/init.d/gdm stop
> >
> > Here is where things fail.
> >
> > I edited my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and wanted to use the above script to
> test it,
> >
> > I run the script and the login interface comes up and my mouse works.
> I'm
> > expecting the whole thing to go down, because of the "sleep 30" in my
> script.
> > It stays up.
> >

> "sleep 30" doesn't execute because the script does not continue past
> "/etc/init.d/gdm start".  And it won't until the gdm process stops.
> Then the script will continue.  Maybe someone can help me out here,
> there is a bash command (assuming you're using bash) that will call an
> external program AND continue on with the script.  I think it's exec
> or system.
>
> > So I now have a functioning mouse with a functioning video card and
> monitor,
> > but no keyboard.
> >
> > The Tab key produces "q", the q key produces "w", and so forth, but
> > unpredictable overall. My xorg.conf entry for the keyboard is:
> >

> Did you not get my xorg.conf I posted to the list?  I have the same
> hardware as you and my keyboard and mouse are working.  "X -configure"
> will not work for your hardware.  It will detect the keyboard
> incorrectly (but not know it) and complain that it can't find your
> mouse.  It may detect your graphics card properly though.
>
> Here's what I suggest you do.  Run "X -configure" once.  Let it create
> the xorg.conf file with the (hopefully) appropriate graphics card
> section and incorrect everything else.  Then, take my xorg.conf
> verbatim, and paste the graphics section from your "X -configure" one
> into it, overwriting my graphics section.  Et Voila!  A working
> xorg.conf for an Ultra 10 with Creator 3D card running kernel 2.4.x
>
> Regards,
> Doug

!DSPAM:43eaa57e13761310518714!