[nSLUG] Keep loosing internet connection

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Wed Feb 8 20:18:34 AST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 18:43 -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> I have a "Devolo Microlink Lan Router" connected to Eastlinks cable modem. I
> have been loosing the internet connection more often than I think is
> warranted, some days
> like 2 - 3 times, then maybe not for a day or so. . Eastlink claims that
> their cable modem tests good and
> that the problem probably is with my router.
>
> Is there anyway of testing this?

It could be a couple of things:

Need to isolate if its internal or external.

Are any other internal machines dropping
     check your logs on the machine, how old is the nic driver
     sometimes there are bugs that get fixed, auto negotation was
     a nightmare on the intel cards at work, but a new driver fixed it.

Does the cable modem reset, does the connect light reset
     try swapping wires, is the cable connection good at that location
     how much excess coaxial do you have from the modem to the wall
     try not to coil more than once or twice, after that it becomes
     an antennae.

If you are the only PC on the LAN, use your PC to connect to the modem.
You will need to match the MAC address of the router unless you used the
MAC from your PC on the router.  This is so you can connect to Eastlink.

Do you have access to a sniffer or the ethereal app in linux?
There are other tools like tcpdump and sniffit.

Need to see if you are getting hit with packets storms, or DOS attacks.
Or worse yet, your IP was used for someone else causing duplicate
connections.  Seen it before..

Hope this helps
Rich

--