[nSLUG] older SPARC Ultra10 and xorg.conf - take 2

Doug McComber doug.mccomber at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 16:27:40 AST 2006

On 2/7/06, Daniel Ricard <ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca> wrote:
> I also wrote a little script for testing (thanks Donald):
>
> /etc/init.d/gdm start
> sleep 30
> /etc/init.d/gdm stop
>
> Here is where things fail.
>
> I edited my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and wanted to use the above script to test it,
>
> I run the script and the login interface comes up and my mouse works. I'm
> expecting the whole thing to go down, because of the "sleep 30" in my script.
> It stays up.

"sleep 30" doesn't execute because the script does not continue past
"/etc/init.d/gdm start".  And it won't until the gdm process stops.
Then the script will continue.  Maybe someone can help me out here,
there is a bash command (assuming you're using bash) that will call an
external program AND continue on with the script.  I think it's exec
or system.

> So I now have a functioning mouse with a functioning video card and monitor,
> but no keyboard.
>
> The Tab key produces "q", the q key produces "w", and so forth, but
> unpredictable overall. My xorg.conf entry for the keyboard is:

Did you not get my xorg.conf I posted to the list?  I have the same
hardware as you and my keyboard and mouse are working.  "X -configure"
will not work for your hardware.  It will detect the keyboard
incorrectly (but not know it) and complain that it can't find your
mouse.  It may detect your graphics card properly though.

Here's what I suggest you do.  Run "X -configure" once.  Let it create
the xorg.conf file with the (hopefully) appropriate graphics card
section and incorrect everything else.  Then, take my xorg.conf
verbatim, and paste the graphics section from your "X -configure" one
into it, overwriting my graphics section.  Et Voila!  A working
xorg.conf for an Ultra 10 with Creator 3D card running kernel 2.4.x

Regards,
Doug

!DSPAM:43ea55af5519659312580!