[nSLUG] older SPARC Ultra10 and xorg.conf - take 2

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 00:50:03 AST 2006

Well, xorg has been a moving target as the versions change,
possibly more so on Sparc platform than on x86.

I suggest running Xorg -configure and let that generate
a config file.  Assuming it knows what is the best syntax,
it might show "keyboard" should now be "kbd" or
something like that.  Study what that offers and
you might want to try replacing the keyboard portion
with what it generates.

You could also try the gentoo forums.  They have some good
examples of Xorg conf files in the sparc forum, and
Gentoo were early adopters of Xorg in their "stable"
version.  Hunt down one that someone claims works in
their Ultra 10.  Last I saw, creator 3D wasn't well
supported in Xorg.  It might be better left running
with XFree86.

--Donald

On 2/7/06, Daniel Ricard <ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca> wrote:

> Hello all,
> An update on my recent saga to get X back up on a SPARC Ultra10 box with a
> Creator 3D graphics card to a Sun monitor, running Debian testing
> (2.4.27-2-sparc64 kernel).
>
> Thanks to the great readership of this list, I managed to make some
> progress.
> First, booting into a console is now possible from the SILO prompt using
> (thanks Donald):
>
> > Linux boot/vmlinuz init=/bin/bash
>
> I then remount read-write (thanks Stephen):
>
> > mount -o remount,rw /
>
> I also wrote a little script for testing (thanks Donald):
>
> /etc/init.d/gdm start
> sleep 30
> /etc/init.d/gdm stop
>
> Here is where things fail.
>
> I edited my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and wanted to use the above script to test
> it,
>
> I run the script and the login interface comes up and my mouse works. I'm
> expecting the whole thing to go down, because of the "sleep 30" in my
> script.
> It stays up.
>
> So I now have a functioning mouse with a functioning video card and
> monitor,
> but no keyboard.
>
> The Tab key produces "q", the q key produces "w", and so forth, but
> unpredictable overall. My xorg.conf entry for the keyboard is:
>
> **********************
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
> Driver "keyboard"
>         Option  "CoreKeyboard"
> Option"XkbKeycodes""sun(type5)"
> Option"XkbModel""type5"
> Option"XkbRules""sun"
> Option"XkbLayout""us"
> Option"XkbGeometry""sun(type5)"
> EndSection
>
> This does not yield any errors in the the log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log).
>
> Could the problem come from the "Module" section of xorg.conf?
>
> Cheers,

!DSPAM:43e97883313254765512309!