[nSLUG] older SPARC Ultra10 and xorg.conf - take 2

Daniel Ricard ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca
Tue Feb 7 23:12:01 AST 2006

Hello all,
An update on my recent saga to get X back up on a SPARC Ultra10 box with a
Creator 3D graphics card to a Sun monitor, running Debian testing
(2.4.27-2-sparc64 kernel).

Thanks to the great readership of this list, I managed to make some progress.
First, booting into a console is now possible from the SILO prompt using
(thanks Donald):

> Linux boot/vmlinuz init=/bin/bash

I then remount read-write (thanks Stephen):

> mount -o remount,rw /

I also wrote a little script for testing (thanks Donald):

/etc/init.d/gdm start
sleep 30
/etc/init.d/gdm stop

Here is where things fail.

I edited my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and wanted to use the above script to test it,

I run the script and the login interface comes up and my mouse works. I'm
expecting the whole thing to go down, because of the "sleep 30" in my script.
It stays up.

So I now have a functioning mouse with a functioning video card and monitor,
but no keyboard.

The Tab key produces "q", the q key produces "w", and so forth, but
unpredictable overall. My xorg.conf entry for the keyboard is:

**********************
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver      "keyboard"
	Option	"CoreKeyboard"
        Option  "XkbKeycodes"   "sun(type5)"
        Option  "XkbModel"      "type5"
        Option  "XkbRules"      "sun"
        Option  "XkbLayout"     "us"
        Option  "XkbGeometry"   "sun(type5)"
EndSection

This does not yield any errors in the the log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log).

Could the problem come from the "Module" section of xorg.conf?

Cheers,

!DSPAM:43e9618a311261945380136!