[nSLUG] Re: Debian on SPARC - keyboard problem

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 20:10:59 AST 2006

If you don't have ssh or telnet or anything running to allow
remote access, you have other options.  Network boot
is one option, but probably more effort than the others
unless you already have it nearly set up.  The other options are to
boot a live CD such as the Gentoo sparc CD, or to enter
some boot options to silo that tell it to enter single user
mode and put you into a shell.  Normally you should also
have an existing silo.conf entry to help with that, but you
can always enter one in at the console.

Take a look at this page, which will explain silo and provide
examples of boot line options for silo so that you can
load your kernel image and provide the parameters you need.
init=/bin/sh with the appropriate device, and mounted rw
would be your goal.

http://www.sparc-boot.org/usingsilo.html

Using:

boot/vmlinuz init=/bin/sh

might be all you need.

Edit /etc/inittab or whatever you need to do to disable
your display manager so that you can fix it.
On the next boot, install/configure sshd so you have a backdoor when
X freezes and the keyboard doesn't allow Ctrl+Alt+F1 and the like.
It is useful for many X freezing scenarios.

--Donald

On 2/6/06, Daniel Ricard <ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca > wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Are you talking about the console login or X login?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Doug
> >

> The keyboard and mouse are not recognised at the X login console.
>
> Donald, I think that you are bang on the money by pointing out to X.org
>
> > I don't know for certain but it is likely that 'testing' is
> > using X.org rather than XFree86.
>

> So is there a way to, say, boot the machine without any display manager
> (only
> reach runlevel 3) so that I can use vi or something to properly setup
> rc.conf
> and Xorg.conf?
> Cheers,
>
> Dan