[nSLUG] Module mod_include is it missing

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Sun Feb 5 12:02:25 AST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 10:31 -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> I copied the changes from my old httpd.conf into the new one.
>
> I keep getting a start-up error:
>

> |Configuration syntax error detected, not starting/reloading...
> Syntax error on line 1054 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
> Invalid command 'XBitHack', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
>  failed!|
>
> The file /etc/apache/modules.conf did not have includes_mod listed and also refuses to update.
>  I modified it by hand, restarted apache recieved a configuration notice that the file had been changed, what cource of action to take.
> reinstalled the maintainers version. Now it works as it should.

I did a quick search on the Apache website,  XBitHack is part of the
include module.  I remember when I converted mine to the newer version,
I had to change all the Module commands to AddModule, this fix most of
the issues.  I don't think there were any other major changes between
1.2 and 1.3.

You may want to do a side by side compare from the default httpd.conf
and your current one.  I would rename the 1.2 or earlier config as
htppd.conf.old, then use the default one that comes with the new
version.  See if the default works first.

If all is good, then you can do a diff on them to see what is different.
Before making changes to the new config, make a copy of it as
http.conf.orig.  Then proceed with making the necessary changes.

All the  Module commands will most likely be AddModule now, and I think
the paths may have changed.  Just compare the loaded modules, you may
need to uncomment a few in the new config to match your old one.

You will probably need to update the server info and admin info.
Then check your virtual directories and how you handle user web servers.
They should be pretty much the same.  Enable CGI related commands for
server side includes and any Virtual machines.

It will take about 15 to 20min to do a side by side compare.
Then save and restart the service, should be okay.

Rich

!DSPAM:43e62191248185342714898!