[nSLUG] Redhat and minimal X-less install

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 15:30:32 AST 2006

I've worked with Debian and Gentoo in recent years, and they
are both able to keep out X dependancies.

Initially it was Gentoo's ability to screen out or add feature flags
at compile time which helped me to decide against using Redhat
at home.  In that case I felt it was absurd to get a growing bunch
of audio packages over the course of a year running
up2date, on a server that has no need of audio and had
no audio applications intentionally installed.

At work I've set up debian on DNS/DHCP server and INN news
server, and they are X-less, always maintained with up to date
packages in Debian stable, and have far fewer than the
typical 1000 package count you see on a X based machine.
However one doesn't always get to pick the distro of
their choice...

I like the flexibility of mrepo, but for now I'm going to go
conservative and stick with the commercial package
manager option of Redhat's GUI.  It was time to upgrade
those 14" displays anyway.

Thanks for the follow ups on my query...

--Donald

On 12/12/06, Bill Davidson <billdavidson at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I find it more and more difficult these days to set up a Linux
> installation without X, from *any* distribution.  For example, just the
> other day I was installing Slackware for s stripped-down file server.  I
> had a Slack-10.1 CD lying around and used that, and left out all the X
> packages.  The I installed slapt-get and used hat to upgrade to
> Slack-11.  Bad things started to happen -- like for example, the "groff"
> package contains, among other things, "gxditview", which is linked
> against X libs, so the whole package "depends" on X.  Of course it
> really doesn't, just one part of it which one wouldn't try use in a no-X
> system.
>
> But then, this whole "package dependency" thing is still pretty new to
> Slackware :)
>
> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 20:06 -0400, D G Teed wrote:
> > It has been awhile since I've used Redhat and
> > in those days I always ran X on it.
> >
> > For a server in debian I'd do a minimal install,
> > and then add packages as I please.
> > In Redhat Enterprise I saw a reference to the package
> > management running in terminal mode, but the
> > RPM for it has X-related dependancies.
> > Has anyone been able to set up a server without
> > X-Windows and add packages with deep dependancies
> > after the install?
> >
> > Is it just me, or is Disk Druid wacky with renaming
> > partition numbers as extended partitions are added?
> > It took me awhile to set up mirrored disks the
> > way I wanted, due to the odd shuffling it does.
> >
> > --Donald

> !DSPAM:457ed9d7179741065121795!

!DSPAM:4581a65d42473443517351!