[nSLUG] Redhat and minimal X-less install

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Wed Dec 13 10:23:07 AST 2006

Hi Everybody

I had just the opposite problem with Kubuntu 6.06 AMD64 version on my
laptop. I had spent hours using the live-CD and parted getting my
disk re-partitioned the way I wanted it, and when I clicked on the
"instal" icon on the desktop discovered that Reiserfs was *not* one
of the file system types that I was allowed to specify for my file
systems. (There was a drop-down list, which did not allow me to
manually type in Reiserfs.)

Having RTFM'd somewhat, I clicked on the "back" icon a time or two and
came up with a menu that allowed for much greater manual control of
the install. (I realized later that this was the standard Debian
"expert" install menu.) When the install was completed, was it ever
"minimal"! No X. None of the much-vaunted Ubuntu tools to help with
hardware detection and configuration.

Go minimalist, go Debian.

Regards

Jack